Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Tourists: NYC

For the past couple of days, my mom and I have been playing tourist in New York City.  Here’s what we’ve been up to…

Friday we walked a few blocks from our hotel to Lincoln Center, home of the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, to see the fashionable arrive and depart the ongoing shows.  We talked to an Australian girl with awesome tights but there wasn’t much else going on at the time.  Then we ventured to Century 21.  If you’re not familiar with this haven, please add it to your To Shop list next time you’re in New York.  It has designer clothes and shoes at up to 80% off.  It's where I got my first pairs of Manolo Blahnik and Valentino shoes in September.  (Expect to see a post about these glorious acquisitions in the future.)  I didn’t get anything THAT spectacular this time but I did get a beautiful taupe dress from MICHAEL by Michael Kors and a taupe tank with a black Peter Pan collar and buttons.  At the moment, I have a thing for taupe/tan and black.

[caption id="attachment_530" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week - Photo courtesy of Business Insider[/caption]

Then we ate at P.J. Clarke’s across from Lincoln Center, a casual, but upscale pub with a good selection and great service.  Their French onion soup is one of the best I’ve had.  And I love me some FOS.  Afterward we REALLY turned up the tourist notch by taking a cab to meet my mom’s cousin, George, at TKTS at Times Square to get tickets to a Broadway production.  After hesitantly agreeing to see "Other Desert Cities" with Stockard Channing we walked to Macy’s.

My parents watched a special about Macy’s and were fascinated to discover that some of the original wood escalators are still in use today.  Riding these historical escalators was the highlight of the trip thus far, according to my mother.

[caption id="attachment_534" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Times Square[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_543" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Mom on Macy's escalators[/caption]

After I regained composure from all the excitement from Macy’s escalators, we walked to the Shake Shack for a light dinner before the show.  Mom and I shared a ‘Shroom Burger.  Delicious.  “Was there a Portobello mushroom in it?” mom asked.  There was too much Muenster and Cheddar cheese to tell.

On our way to the show I dashed inside Forever 21 for what I thought was a quick look at the store I know and love.  But this location has four floors!  FOUR floors of trendy, cheap clothing and I hadn’t even seen some of the items before.  I grabbed a frilly blue & white polka-dotted wrap dress, two sheer fishtail skirts in pink and black and a shiny black pleated tower maxi-dress.  Expect to see these in posts this summer.

We ended our night in one of the best ways possible in the Big Apple… at a Broadway production.  "Other Desert Cities" was the first non-musical that I had seen in New York.  It was exceptional.  I was looking forward to seeing Stockard Channing.  Yes, the actress who portrayed Rizzo, the bad ass Pink Lady in Grease.  But more importantly to me, she was Aunt Frances Owens in Practical Magic, my favorite movie.  But I wasn't sure about the play.

The Booth Theatre is small, intimate and there can’t be a bad seat in the house.  Much to my delight, Rachel Griffiths, from Brothers and Sisters, appeared on stage along with Channing.  I laughed.  I cried.  I felt what they felt.  Exceptional.  Following the standing ovation, we waited by the stage door for the actors to exit.  Mom and I were ecstatic to meet and get the autographs of Stockard Channing, Rachel Griffiths, Judith Light and Justin Kirk.

[caption id="attachment_544" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Stockard Channing & I[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_547" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Rachel Griffiths[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_533" align="aligncenter" width="500"] The autographed playbill[/caption]

Saturday we traveled to Rockefeller Center to see the famous Christie’s auction house, which was unfortunately closed.  Guess we’ll have to plan another trip to NYC, mom.  We watched the ice skaters and stopped in the stores of NBC, Lego, the Metropolitan Museum of Art and American Girl.  Check out my new shirt from NBC.

[caption id="attachment_537" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Rockefeller Center[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_538" align="aligncenter" width="500"] The Lego Store[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_532" align="aligncenter" width="348"] Call me Kelly[/caption]

Then we went to Soho, known for its trendy shops and art galleries.  We ate at the Broome Street Bar at the recommendation of a man on the street, where we tried their famous hamburger in a pita.  It was very tasty.  On our walk through the hip neighborhood I spotted Topshop,the super trendy and fantastic British store, which also had four stories.  (FOUR!)  I’ve visited topshop.com but it was my first time in an actual store, as there are only two in the states.  It reminded me of a more upscale Forever 21 (forgive me for loving that damn store even though I am clearly not forever 21) but several pieces were more unique and better designed.  They are known for recreating designer pieces.  I ended up with a pair of very dangly gold Grecian earrings, perfect for my shoot on Monday.  TopShop is my new love.  We also visited Amarcord Vintage Fashion, which was on my To Shop list for its collection of European vintage clothing and accessories from the 1940s to the 1980s.  It had several beautiful and interesting pieces from Christian Dior, Versace and Gucci, to name a few.  I only lusted.

[caption id="attachment_540" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Broome Street Bar's chalkboard walls[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_541" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Broome Street Bar[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_545" align="aligncenter" width="500"] Mom's burger[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_546" align="aligncenter" width="500"] In the subway[/caption]

Exhausted from our two days of being tourists, we made the long trek back to the Hudson Hotel to rest up for Sunday, the day of the Derek Lam show.  The show was amazing.  Details to come…  Thank you for following along on my adventures.

[caption id="attachment_560" align="aligncenter" width="500"] My new earrings from Topshop and a sneak peak of what I wore to the Derek Lam show[/caption]

No comments :

Post a Comment